What does an ideal residential trash collection system look like?
You've shared your concerns and ideas with us in-person, online, and in-print. From these comments, several key themes that we've summarized to describe Lakewood's ideal collection system, along with challenges that come with any potential change.
- Neighborhood-friendly: A minimal number of trucks collect neighborhood trash on only one or two days of the week. This creates a quieter, safer, and cleaner neighborhood.
- Affordable: Lakewood residents pay similar collection fees to other communities in the region, freeing up resources for other household costs.
- Business-friendly: Small businesses are able to compete with larger companies and continue contributing to the local economy.
- Customizable: Residents can choose from add-on services like large-item pickup, compost pickup, and container sizes to fit their household needs
- Transparent and accountable: Residents understand their collection fees and receive quality customer service.
- Environmentally-friendly: Cleaner and fewer trucks improve air quality and recycling is easy.
- Individual choice by creating citywide standards
- Administrative burden by increasing City staff responsibilities and role of government
- Household schedules by changing collection times and pricing structures