Why are we celebrating Lakewood's 50th Anniversary?
Planning for Lakewood's 50th Anniversary began during the spring of 2015, when the Lakewood Advisory Commission made recommendations to City Council about this upcoming milestone. The Lakewood Advisory Commission consists of residents with a mission to support a vibrant and inclusive community by conducting research and providing recommendations on local issues to City Council.
The commission recommended encouraging community groups to get involved including schools and businesses; publishing a book or calendar with historic photos; creating banners; installing historical signs/markers in parks that communicate the history and origin of the site; and more. Based on these recommendations, City Council allocated funding for a yearlong community celebration. The following activities are what residents can look forward to in 2019:
- Online engagement opportunities including weekly Lakewood Trivia, scavenger hunts, and more!
- Pop-up Parties
- 50th anniversary giveaways
- Social media celebration using #Lakewood50
- 50th themed performances at the Lakewood Cultural Center
- The opening of a new permanent Lakewood history exhibit at Lakewood Heritage Center
- New signs in selected city parks to include historical information
- 50th related themes and giveaways at your favorite annual city events, like Cider Days, Rockin’ Block Party, Lakewood Lights and Big Boom Bash.
- A new public art installation in Addenbrooke Park
- The release of a book commemorating Lakewood’s 50th Anniversary available for purchase
- History video
Now that you know a little more about why we are celebrating Lakewood's 50th Anniversary and what activities you can look forward to, we hope you'll join the fun.
Consultation has concluded